Saturday, June 4, 2016

Steampunk Top Hat - The Longest Journey



Yogi here today with my 1st project for the blog - loving this newest cutting file "Steampunk Top Hat" from Suzanne - BIG GRIN

"Is this the man in your life? Or perhaps his alter ego!? Assemble this hat as you please in colours of your choice and it’s ready to go on a card front or scrapbook page."

Instead I decided to create an easel card with the file - real easy to do... and I'm finally finding a use for some of my Kanban cardstock. I thought they were perfect for a Steampunk theme.


I opened the Silhouette file in Sure Cuts A Lot software. Increased the image size of everything at once until my hat was approx 6.5"w. I then ungrouped everything and only selected my main hat piece, elongating it till it became approx 4.5"h. I copied and pasted the hat onto a new sheet and welded a rectangle that was the height of my hat (4.5"h) and 2.5"w. After cutting out the hat/rectangle from a chocolate brown cardstock, I scored the rectangle at the 2.25" and 4.5" points creating the front part of the easel.

I cut the main hat piece from Kanban "Pearl Glaze Farfalla - Coffee Brown Background Card". It's a relatively thick cardstock, so to be on the safe side, I cut twice. My blade is really used so I wanted to be safer rather than sorry... The gear band I cut from Kanban "Bella Paisley - Mocha Luxury". All the other elements from cream toned 110# cardstock. I cut a second main hat piece from the cream cardstock which I'll cut down and use for my quote/card stopper.

I adhered the main Kanban hat piece to the front portion of the rectangle, matching it up with the floor hat.


The hat brim was inked with "Walnut Stain" and embossed with Distress "Walnut Stain" embossing powder, then burnished.

The bottom portion of the hat piece was embossed with Cuttlebug "Swiss Dots" embossing folder, sponged with the brown, then high points sanded down.

The gear parts on the hat band - the cross piece was inked with Versafine "Vintage Sepia" and embossed with Emerald Creek Hot Stuff "Chic Camo" embossing powder. The circle over layer with Distress "Walnut Stain" embossing powder.

The 3 decorative gears with Judikins "Rustique Tin Can" embossing powder.

back of easel
The 2 larger buttons were sponged with either "Tumbled Glass" or "Crushed Olive", then run through my embossing machine using Cuttlebug "Mesh" embossing folder, high points hit with the same color pads and clear embossed. The smallest button was just colored with "Broken China" and clear embossed.

The feather I lightly sponged with the olive, created score feather lines with a small balled stylus, then direct to paper with the tumbled glass.


On the extra main hat piece I cut straight across the brim section. Inked my quote ("The Longest Journey...") stamp using Versafine Sepia all over and hitting here and there with Black Onyx, clear embossed. Sponged around the edges with a dirty brown sponge. Adhered to floor of card with 3D foam tape.

As a final touch added some small manly type buttons with a glue tool.

1 comment: